Tuesday 17 February 2009

Getting to Grips

Well, I've been in The Gambia for a week and a half now. It's a good job that I've come with an open mind because it's worlds apart from the UK and the western world. To get around they use yellow taxis and the Gelly Gellys, which are bonkers! They wait around until full up (which can take hours, especially in secluded villages like Makumbaya) and all their motors are ancient and battered. I quite like them though, they're just part of the Gambian charm! The roads are free for all, with animals roaming the streets and horns going crazy. It's all pretty friendly and slow paced. Everything happens in GMT (Gambia maybe time!) so nothing is on time. There are a few main tarmac roads but most roads are just dirt or sand tracks. It can be quite hot during the day but it's very pleasant. It's actually 'very cold' for Gambians so I'm expecting tougher conditions as time goes on!!

Despite the major culture differences, my first impressions are great. The people are extremely friendly and will always greet you when you pass in the street. They have also been very helpful with settling me in. Some people especially very young kids, give me curious looks. You stand out so much as a white westerner. The kids all shout 'Tou-bab', which means white person but is just friendly and not meant to be offensive. My hosts (Jammeh family) are so friendly and welcoming, like all the other Gambians I've met so far. They are of the Jola tribe, which is one of many in The Gambia. I'm going to have to learn both Jola and Mandinka languages, which is already looking very tough. I think I come across as a bit rude at times because Gambians always want to talk. They drink Attaya all the time, which is a strong green tea with loads of sugar and is REALLY SWEET!!! It's good stuff!

The things that I thought would bother me haven't. Even the insects, bucket baths and medievel toilet! The thing that is hardest is getting used to the lack of light in the evening. It gets dark very quickly in The Gambia and it can be pitch black by 8 o'clock. The cockrals are also starting to get on my nerves when they go off at 2 in the morning!

The teaching is very tough though. I've been put in the nursery school instead of lower basic and so none of the children speak good English. Because of the language barrier, it is very hard to put down new ideas and I've ended up resorting to teaching what the kids know (NOT what I had in mind!!) Their lessons are extremly boring and there is a lot of reading out and repeating what the teacher writes on the board. I hope to be able to work with the teachers and give them ideas that they can use, rather than teach myself. It is going to take time but hopefully it will be worth while.

No comments:

Post a Comment